Meet Steve McGarrett’s mother!

July 3rd, 2012 by

CBS has announced that Academy Award winning actress Christine Lahti has been cast in the role of Steve McGarrett’s thought-to-be-dead mother. Quite a few names were being floated by fans as possible contenders, including Geena Davis and Lynda Carter, but I’m quite happy with this choice.  I’ve long been a fan of Ms. Lahti’s work and as an actor who is always eager to learn from his peers, I think that Alex O’Loughlin must also be pleased with this casting.

Christine Lahti from CBS.com

From CBS

LOS ANGELES, July 2, 2012 — Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning actress Christine Lahti (“Chicago Hope”) has been cast in a recurring role on HAWAII FIVE-0, which begins its third season this fall on the CBS Television Network. Lahti will portray Doris McGarrett, the thought-to-be-deceased mother of Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin).

“The mysterious character of Doris McGarrett is a pivotal one to the mythology of our show,” said Executive Producer Peter Lenkov, “and we are thrilled to have a seasoned and beloved actress such as Christine to portray her. She’s a wonderful addition to the H50 family and the fans will certainly enjoy what we have in store for her. Let’s just say that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

Lahti earned her first Oscar nomination for “Swing Shift,” then took the statue home 10 years later as a first-time director for her short film “Lieberman in Love.” In 1998, Lahti won both the Emmy and her second Golden Globe Award for her portrayal of Dr. Kathryn Austin on “Chicago Hope.” Three years later, her feature film directorial debut, “My First Mister,” opened the 2001 Sundance Film Festival. Additional film credits include “Running on Empty,” for which she received the 1998 LA Film Critics Award as well as a Golden Globe nomination, “Leaving Normal,” “The Doctor,” “Housekeeping,” “Whose Life Is It Anyway?” and “…And Justice for All.”

Her television credits include a starring role in “Jack & Bobby,” for which she received both SAG and Golden Globe Award nominations, “Law & Order: SVU” and numerous television movies including “Amerika,” for which she earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

A highly esteemed and award-winning stage actress, most recently Lahti starred on Broadway in “God of Carnage,” and off-Broadway in “Body of Water” and “Dreams of Flying, Dreams of Falling.”

32 Responses to “Meet Steve McGarrett’s mother!”

Welcome to H50 Mrs Lahti!!LOL!! Im happy she was cast as Doris Mcgarrett and I hope she will do a good job playing the part and I hope Peter and the writers will make her a good story and since she is going to be recurring Im guessing the Shelburne story will continue for a bit longer.

Mrs Lahti does have quite a acting experience so I hope her role will be good too.

I never would have guessed Christine to be an option I had many other choices but never thought about her.

Who can remember one awards ceremony some years ago when Christine name was announced as a winner but she was not seated in her chair to receive the award beuae th emoment her name was announced she was in the bathroom and then she came out of the bathroom, she went to the stage to receive it and told everyone she was in the bathroom,. How funny!!

2. avatar maggs says:

excellent choice, season 3 is going to be exciting, best wishes to her and her 5-0 ohana , can’t wait for the season to start.

3. avatar shiri (@shirik1) says:

i love apples (-; it’ll be great to see her with Catherin

4. avatar Sally Amelotti says:

This was a great choice. Welcome Christine, we are looking forward to your role on H50. Can hardly wait till S3.

Since nothing had been announced that Fry could be replaced I guess for this S3 there wotn be any new chief of Detectives unless Sgt Lukela will get a promotion.

6. avatar Susan M says:

Love her! She can play tough and vulnerable with split-second timing between the two. Two of my favorite roles of hers are with Mary Tyler Moore in “Just Between Friends” and “Crazy From the Heart” with Reuben Blades. Watch out, Steve, Mama’s back in town and you may be grounded or sent to your room for insubordinate behavior! (Which is bound to make Danny smile!)

7. avatar D says:

The face of Shelburne has been revealed.

For some reason, I don’t really like the name Doris, though I have a friend named Doris whom I haven’t spoken to in years; however, I might get used to it. I don’t remember McGarrett’s mother ever being mentioned by name in any episode…or was she? (Someone, please refresh my memory). I can’t wait to see what good stuff the writers are cooking up for us. Book ‘em, Danno.

• avatar Maria says:

D: No her name has never been mentioned before

• avatar D says:

Maria, in what episode was her name mentioned? terrysagirl, in what episode of the original series was the name Doris used? either way, Mr. Lenkov knows what he’s doing, and I can’t wait to see what good stuff the writers are cooking up for us.

• avatar terrysagirl says:

I’m pretty sure that Peter said the name “Doris” is from the original Hawaii Five-O series.

• avatar Maria says:

I may agree with u D. I do not like the name Doris either, many other fans do not like the name either. Doris sound more like a soft tender name for a grandmother, but not the name of the person who Wo Fat has to be afraid of.

There is still time to change the name as until next week filming starts (hehe!!)

8. avatar Jim says:

Christine Lahti is an exellent actress and an excellent choice as mom mcGarrett but the term ‘recurring role” saddens me. Looks like they are going to drag out this Shelburne baloney throughout the run of the series…boo!…just one person’s opinion.

9. avatar Linda N. says:

I am so glad Peter L. chose Christine Lahti as Mrs. McG!!
    She is a terrific actress and will bring alot to the character she portrays. In many of her portrayals she always has been a “take-charge” person and I believe that is where they will have Steve taking after his mother. Mahalo nui loa to the producers for selecting her…how soon does Season 3 start? Now I’m anxious to see the show!!
    Thanks again and a big aloha to Christine!!!

10. avatar Mary says:

I see lots and lots of great emotions coming, I’m happy that this storyline will be explored, though my priority is that they will mantain the focus of the whole series on the Steve/Danny relationship, the main four as a team, the concept of Ohana. So I would love if this storyline would be treated not only as a Steve’s “problem” but as a question that concerns him and the people who love him, I want Danny, Chin and Kono to be there for him, and seeing him trusting them on this.

Thank you! I just read the official announcement on the CBS site. I knew that talented Christine Lahti will portray Doris McGarrett, Steve’s mother, on Hawaii Five-0. Congratulations and best wishes to Christine.

If u can take a closer look at Christine’s face. She has a little resemblance with Alex.

• avatar Karen says:

That is exactly what I said when I first saw her; there is a strong resemblance between she and Steve. She is very believable as his mother,; similar face shape.

13. avatar kels says:

Excellent casting choice! With so many wonderful actresses to choose from, I was glad hear they cast someone who actually looks enough like him to be believable as his mother. She is a terrific actress as well. I’m even more excited for the mother son reunion now!

14. avatar Diane says:

I had a lot of people going through my head, and I did not even think of Christine Lahti. What a great choice. Very good actress, I’ve seen her in many roles, and think they hit the jackpot. She can act, she’s beautiful, and brings that star power. Even though its a recurring role, I can’t wait to see her with Alex and Taryn. Really can’t wait now to see the season opener.

I was one who did not like the fact that the Shelburne story kept going, being dragged out too long. But, I think it is over. We know who Shelburne is, its Doris McGarrett. So its not really going to continue. We now have the reunion of Mom and son, and the story of what actually happened to be revealed. And of course, Wofat, who is not going anywhere, and should not. Will find out at some point that she is alive, which brings more drama along those lines. I’m really looking forward to the next season and feel that they have layed the ground work for so many exciting stories for all of the core 4.

15. avatar Mary E says:

I am happy to see this beautiful talented actress “COME ABOARD” as “Commander Mc Garrett’s ” mother, It is going to be a super interaction and I offer a heartfelt ALOHA to Ms Lahti

There is only one tiny thing that I did not like CBS should have done about it. I beieve it would have been better to keep the name of the actress still a cliffhanger for all the fans, as it would had been more exciting to meet her for the first time when S3 begins because her role is pivotal, like Peter Lenkow said

• avatar Diane says:

I think that would be hard to keep it a secret since there will be a blessing as usual for the opener, and Ms. Lahti will be there, because she will be in one of the first scenes. Since it is being broadcast live and she will be there, how would they keep it a secret?

The name of Doris is fine, I think it was a link to the previous show somehow, which is what the new H50 likes to do, and is a very classy move by the current staff, to keep some sort of connection with the old show. People can’t complain about a multi award winning actress being cast, so I guess there is always something, someone needs to complain about. H50 can’t win in some people’s eyes no matter what.

• avatar Linda N. says:

Alright, enough already Maria! Geez, you’ve monopolized 3/4
      of the site. We all know about Christine Lahti… you just go on and on and on. I’m not trying to be nasty—but, give it a rest already.

• avatar D says:

I agree with you, Maria, that it would have been better to keep the name of the actress playing Shelburne a secret until the premiere in September. I felt the same way about Karen Allen returning for the fourth Indiana Jones movie, that Mr. Spielberg should have kept it a secret until Marion shows up on screen in the film at the premiere. However, I also agree with Diane on this, that it would have been hard to keep it a secret. Mr. Lenkov knows exactly what he’s doing, and I’m excited for season 3. September isn’t getting here fast enough; however, I’m so stoked that The Dark Knight Rises is finally coming to theaters next week.

17. avatar Nan says:

Perfect choice. Counting the days till September. PL knows what he is doing and I think we are in for another great ride with season 3.

18. avatar Mrs. Cleaver says:

McGarrett has her nose. Good casting choice. I am looking forward to season 3.

19. avatar Mike says:

Leave her off the show she is iritating!