Hawaii Five-0 wraps season 3

April 20th, 2013 by

With an extremely busy couple of months ahead of them — Hawaii Five-0′s local production crew will be working throughout the summer hiatus to pack up and move the show from their old home at 605 Kapiolani to their new digs at the Diamond Head Studio — cast an crew have been pulling out all the stops on the last handful of season three episodes. They have also, according to Mike Gordon of the Star Advertiser and Honolulu Pulse Outtakes Online, started work on the season four premiere.

Gordon chatted with show lead Alex O’Loughlin during the recent Kualoa Ranch shoot for the season’s 21st episode; the Outtakes Online article below is based on that interview.

Alex O’Loughlin. (Star-Advertiser photo by Craig T. Kojima)

Alex O’Loughlin. (Star-Advertiser photo by Craig T. Kojima)

Apr 20, 2013

Outtakes Online: ‘Five-0′ wraps third season

BY MIKE GORDON / mgordon@staradvertiser.com

“Hawaii Five-0” finished shooting its last episode of season three on Thursday, April 18, but that doesn’t mean everyone can go home. Work began right away on Friday, April 19, and will continue for a few days next week on season four. Just a few scenes, though.

It’s been a long season — 24 episodes that started last July. The daily production grind can start before sunrise and last for 12 to 14 hours.

The show’s leading man, Alex O’Loughlin, who stars as Steve McGarrett, called the pace exhausting a few weeks ago as he filmed an episode at Kualoa Ranch. The episodes were becoming a blur, he said.

“We’re on episode 21 now and personally, I think it’s way too much television,” he said between scenes. “Twenty-four episodes is overkill. I think that they got it right in cable, man. It’s like, 7 to 12 episodes and that’s it for the year. That’s perfect. But we’re doing it, man. It’s good.”

Cable does feature shorter seasons and some of the most acclaimed shows — “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad” and “Southland” — air a baker’s dozen each year. Traditional television has long gone with 22 episodes but some shows, including “Five-0,” have shot 24.

On the upside, being tired means funny. If you watch the aptly dubbed “carguments” between O’Loughlin’s McGarrett and Scott Caan’s Danno, you know they can go at it like an old married couple.

“I think the more tired we get, the funnier it becomes,” O’Loughlin said.

He’s not really sure why, but who cares? It’s fun to watch. O’Loughlin called the ongoing chemistry between the two characters “a big part of the glue that holds the whole thing together.”

“I think the longer we go into a season, the more difficult it gets to get up at 4:30 in the morning and to do all the action stuff,” he said. “Perhaps you are seeing some fatigue and some stuff come through that kind of gives it a different flavor and maybe makes it more realistic.”
———
Mike Gordon covers film and television in Hawaii for the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Email him at mgordon@staradvertiser.com and follow him on Twitter. Read his weekly “Outtakes” column Sundays in the Star-Advertiser.

12 Responses to “Hawaii Five-0 wraps season 3”

1. avatar gracenotpark says:

I bet they are tired. And their days do seem horribly long. I don’t blame the actors, Alex particularly since he’s first on the call sheet, for being ready to get away from it all.

But selfishly, I enjoy the 24 ep order. Sorry!!

I hope all works out well at the new digs. Good luck on S4!

2. avatar Rita says:

It has been a long season without many breaks. Probably time was of the essence having to vacate the old advertiser building and getting Diamond Head ready for season 4 as they haven’t got a lot of time to build the sets.
    Hope Alex has a good break.

3. avatar Terry says:

The cast and crew deserves a rest, but many of the crew will continue to work throughout the summer to ready the new studio. A shout-out to them for their unheralded hard work.

4. avatar Terry says:

Oh, and more baby-time for Alex! Malia should turn over diaper changing duty for dad for the next couple of months. ;)

5. avatar Deanna says:

I totally agree.

6. avatar Caroline loves McGarrett says:

I do hope they (the cast and crew) realise just how appreciative we are of all their hard work and dedication to bring us fantastic episodes week after week. People are always so quick to say what they don’t like and be negative but how many times do they hear about the good stuff? I have LOVED every single episode in the last 3 seasons and can’t wait for more. Thank you to all the cast and crew for giving me such pleasure and enriching my life the last 3 years. Wish I could give each and every one of you a hug. ♥

• avatar MaryE says:

HEAR HEAR Caroline. Thanks for a lovely comment. I agree completely and only wish I could buy the entire cast and crew a drink in appreciation for all they do and have done for all of us devoted fans.

7. avatar kim ballan says:

to the cast and crew enjoy the summer. and see you all in Sept. until then. have well deserved. break.

Had any of you seen the wrap up video? that is a very good video I enjoyed most than last year, for me it is way better. It is funny and you can see Alex, Michelle, a little bit of Danny, a tiny bit of Grace, Ian Anthony D., Daniel and Brian Y. The crew and cast really had fun doing it it looks like that. I wish to work in an working environment like that just laid back, all cool people and have fun at the same time. You can even see the eating area where the crew and cast eat during breaks.

Even a mild season ending spoiler is there.

The cast and crew do work long hours! Season 3 of H50 has been very entertaining, well acted, written and directed! Best wishes to the cast and crew for a successful season 4! Meanwhile, enjoy the summer hiatus!